Lumber Thicknesses: 4/4 through 8/4
Lumber Grades: Prime
Sheet Goods: Available in a Variety of Grades
- While the sapwood is very light, the heartwood is a mix of deep red and brown, often dark streaks and colorations that give it a unique look that some compare to rosewood.
- The woods color deepens with exposure and age and even the plainer-looking wood has a natural luster.
- Texture is medium and uniform.
- Goncalo Alves has an interlocked grain.
- Goncalo Alves has a high level of strength and density.
- The wood is very oily, which can cause problems with gluing.
- It is difficult to dry with a tendency to warp and check.
- Preboring is recommended for nails and screws.
- Wood finishes well.
- Wood is highly durable, unaffected by moisture, insect and fungal attack and extremely resistant to preservatives.
- Not suitable for steam bending.
- Material turns and carves well.